President Trump recently reversed the Transgender bathroom directive put in place by Obama which forced schools to allow those who believe they are of the opposite sex enter the bathrooms, locker rooms, and showers.
This was the right thing to do because we can’t continue to allow boys who think they are girls, and vice versa, to think that it is normal because it is not. Not only is it not normal, it is also very dangerous.
The American College of Pediatricians stated that,
Mandates by public institutions to force the acceptance of GD as a normal variant of child development and require social accommodation, toxic hormone therapy and surgical removal of healthy body parts, are misguided and dangerous.
Those who believe they are of the opposite sex suffer from gender dysphoria and according to the American Psychiatric Association it “involves a conflict between a person’s physical or assigned gender and the gender with which he/she/they identify.”
The disorder used to be known as gender identity disorder but now under the newly updated Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), its change to “gender dysphoria” shows a shift towards its normalization.
Life Science reported that Robin Rosenberg, a clinical psychologist, said the “shift reflects recognition that the disagreement between birth gender and identity may not necessarily be pathological if it does not cause the individual distress.”
A report that was published by The New Atlantis last year which was written by two of the nations leading doctors on mental health and sexuality reported that “the belief that gender identity is an innate, fixed human property independent of biological sex—so that a person might be a ‘man trapped in a woman’s body’ or ‘a woman trapped in a man’s body’—is not supported by scientific evidence.”
“The 143-page report discusses over 200 peer-reviewed studies in the biological, psychological, and social sciences, painstakingly documenting what scientific research shows and does not show about sexuality and gender,” reported Ryan T. Anderson, a leading research fellow at The Heritage Foundation.
Normalizing gender dysphoria dangerous, especially to young children. Without the scientific evidence to back the statement that those who identity with the opposite sex are “born that way,” it is misleading to normalize the disorder does not allow them to seek the help they truly need.
The American College of Pediatrics, comprised a list of facts that should compel all “healthcare professionals, educators and legislators to reject all policies that condition children to accept as normal a life of chemical and surgical impersonation of the opposite sex.”
1. Human sexuality is an objective biological binary trait: “XY” and “XX” are genetic markers of male and female, respectively – not genetic markers of a disorder.
2. No one is born with a gender. Everyone is born with a biological sex. Gender (an awareness and sense of oneself as male or female) is a sociological and psychological concept; not an objective biological one.
3. A person’s belief that he or she is something they are not is, at best, a sign of confused thinking.
4. Puberty is not a disease and puberty-blocking hormones can be dangerous.
5. According to the DSM-V, as many as 98% of gender confused boys and 88% of gender confused girls eventually accept their biological sex after naturally passing through puberty.
6. Pre-pubertal children who use puberty blockers to impersonate the opposite sex will require cross-sex hormones in late adolescence. This combination leads to permanent sterility. These children will never be able to conceive any genetically related children even via artificial reproductive technology. In addition, cross-sex hormones (testosterone and estrogen) are associated with dangerous health risks including but not limited to cardiac disease, high blood pressure, blood clots, stroke, diabetes, and cancer.
7. Rates of suicide are nearly twenty times greater among adults who use cross-sex hormones and undergo sex reassignment surgery, even in Sweden which is among the most LGBTQ – affirming countries.
8. Conditioning children into believing a lifetime of chemical and surgical impersonation of the opposite sex is normal and healthful is child abuse.
Dr. Michelle Cretella, President of the College states,
“We live at a time in which social agendas often bias the results of research and lead to the development of false medical standards. Those who honorably speak out against this are chastised. Young children are being permanently sterilized and surgically maimed under the guise of treating a condition that would otherwise resolve in over 80% of them. This is criminal.“
Facts, not feelings, have to be taken into consideration when speaking of the issue of gender identity. Time and effort can no longer be wasted on policies that help normalize their disorder.
Parents should also encourage their children to be respectful to the other kids in their school who are different than them but parents should never encourage their boys to be girls, or girls to be boys.
We as a society need to “love our neighbor as yourself,” but we as a society need to be honest with one another as well. Prejudice leads to hate but truth leads to liberation.
Follow me on twitter at BYR_Miguel